Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Legend by Marie Lu


Shelby Plascencia

March 17, 2013

Per: 7

           
“Legend” by Marie Lu is an exciting book filled with suspense, action, mystery and romance. It is about a 15 year old boy named Day who is the most wanted criminal of the Republic, what was once the American Southwest. “The republic doesn’t seem to know anything about me except that I’m young and that when they run my fingerprints they don’t find a match in their databases. That’s why they hate me, why I’m not the dangerous criminal in the country, but the most wanted. I make them look bad” (2).  Then there is June, the prodigy of the Republic and her older brother Metias. While on a mission to steal plaque cures for his family, Day runs into Metias, and Metias being the good soldier that he is, tries to capture Day. Day strikes Metias with a knife to his shoulder and the next thing you know Metias is dead and Day is the prime suspect. June decides to avenge her brother’s death and kill Day. “I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the republic if I have to. I will trick you, and deceive you, lie, cheat, and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise: your life is mine” (45).  However, when she does find him she unexpectedly falls in love with him. “He has bright blue eyes, dirt on his face, and a beat-up old cap, and at this moment, I think he might be the most beautiful boy I’ve ever seen” (109). Throughout the book June is torn between her lover and her precious country.

My experience reading this book was great because I really enjoyed all of the action. “I swing toward the window and let go of the knife buried in the wall. The window shatters and I’m suddenly out in the night falling, falling, falling like a star to the first floor” (31). Just from these couple of sentences you can tell how much action is involved, and who doesn’t think jumping out of a two and a half story building is heart racing? The author’s style of writing is appropriate and accustomed to each of the characters. “What do you want for the cure, cousin?” says Day (77). Day uses words that people in his section would use, such as ‘cousin’, whereas June would speak more formally. I can easily connect to June and her motives. June is defiant, and even though I’m not that defiant I hate being bossed around too. Also if someone killed my brother, I would want revenge too. The type of reader who would like this book is someone who likes action and a little bit of romance. If you like books such as the Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, or The Percy Jackson series, this is definitely the book for you! 

Lu, Marie. Legend. Vol. 1. Waterville, Me.: Thorndike, 2012. Print. Legend

Creative Response:

Marie Lu was born in Beijing, China in 1984 and her given name is Xiwei. In 1989, the Chinese Cultural Revolution influenced her family to pack up and move to Texas. She later on went to study at The University of Southern California. After that she came up with the idea of Legend while watching Les Misérables. The series became a great success almost immediately. She currently lives in Pasadena, California with her boyfriend and her three dogs.  She now works full time on her writing and as an art director for a video gaming company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take the time to respond thoughtfully.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.