Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


In the book filled with disastrous, drama, and mystery brings us to a novel, ‘’ The Lovely Bones.’’ by Alice Sebold. ‘’ The Lovely Bones’’ is heartbreaking and audience will be flabbergasted of the story line and ending. Basically, it’s a story of a fourteen year old girl who has been raped and murdered. She is able to watch her family and friends from her own Heaven.  ‘’ The dead are never exactly seen by the living, but many people seem acutely aware of something changed around them. They speak of a chill in the air.’’ (36) As family and friends struggle to move on with their lives as they once knew when Susie Salmon was alive.

Life doesn’t remain the same for anybody that knew her. This includes her caring father. Who in fact is trying to find her killer and out an end to this catastrophe. Her parents are affected of her death. ‘’ In those first two months my mother and father moved in opposite directions from each other. One stayed in, the other went out.’’ (86) Susie felt abandon from her loves one and feels so lonely in Heaven. ‘’Heavens where like a girl like me didn’t fit in. Were they horrific, these other heavens? Worse than feeling so solitary among one’s living growing peers? Or were they the stuff I dreamed about?’’ (119)

The connections I made to this book were amazing because I felt exactly how Susie’s sister felt. Her sister, Lindsey had a hard time of overcoming her sister’s death.  That’s exactly how I felt when my uncle passed away a few years ago. In Susie’s perspective she discussed ‘’ The morning of my memorial Lindsey stayed in her room for as long as she could.’’ (105) It was hard to handle my uncle’s death and I know exactly how Lindsey feels. The book reaches to a full extent of dramatic and sadness it brings upon readers. Readers should recommend this book.

 

Creative Response: Alice Sebold was born on September 6, 1963 in Madison, Wisconsin. While being in college she was raped. Her incident lead to a memoir she wrote, Lucky. But, in the Lovely Bones it relates to Susie’s situation.’’ I knew he was going to kill me. I did not realize then that I was a animal dying. ‘’ (14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take the time to respond thoughtfully.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.