Monday, April 14, 2014

World After by Susan Ee

Think of a world where there were less humans more apocalyptic angels and a whole mess of madness. World After by Susan Ee, the second book to the Penryn & the End of Days series, is a book that has a world like that. The second book continues on from the traumatic experience Penryn went through with the angels and the scorpion angels after finally finding her sister. When she finally wakes up everyone freaks out because they thought she was dead. Her family is now seen as the deranged family at the camp that some surviving humans live at. The angels forever changed Paige, Penryn has resurrected, and her mom is far away from sanity. Penryn has been separated from Raffe, an angel that had helped her find her sister, and the only thing she has left of him is his sword and the swords memories of Raffe. "One second, the sword is coming down on the squirrel. The next second, the sword is being held up to an azure sky. The fist that's holding it is Raffe. And the sky is not my sky." (62-63). When Penryn thinks that her family can be together again Paige runs off and Penryn goes to find her in the huge state of California.

World After is an amazing book that can catch the eye of any teenager who like the idea of an apocalypse, evil angels, and sci-fi. The book was very interesting and transition's smoothly from the first book without forgetting little details that some people would forget. For example like when Penrynst saw an angel from the first book and how he had a pair of girls with him like trophies. "Matching pairs of girls. Archangel. An image of Uriel the club with his matching terrified women comes to mind." (193). Ee also makes sure to include the emotions of a teenager like pain. "In my training, I've been hit, punched, kicked, shoved, slammed, and choked by all kinds of opponents. But nothing hurts as much as a slap from your mom."(98). Fear. " I curl into the corner, trying to get as far from her as i can. She'll twist anything I say to fit her crazy logic then throw it back at me." (97). And the feeling when your hopes or dreams are crushed. " ' The world going crazy doesn't mean your mother isn't still crazy, too.' I pull back from her. I wasn't thinking that. Not really. But did she have to steal that possibility away from me?" (111).

One thing I realized in this book is that even though the world goes to (shit) crap there is still hope and happiness with in things. The world may change but we are still the same person we were before. Everyone had hope for the life they had before and for the ones who lost hope they tried their best to be happy in the world they have. The ones who had hope they tried to get back their old lives. There’s always a light in the darkness, you just have to look for it.




Creative response: (Audio monologue)


The angel apocalypse is upon us and it sucks. I hate having to hide every day again. I finally got my sister back. But now my family is seen as the freak shows of the camp. I wake up after being stung by those creepy scorpion angels, my sister has been changed forever, and my mom is still the crazy women she was before. Now I need to keep what Paige hidden and my angel sword hidden. My mom thinks I'm the devils bride. And Paige ran away and I have to find her again. What if I see Raffe again? How will he react? Will he have his wings back? Will he even want to see me? Ugh! I'm suppose to be worrying over what dress I'll be wearing to prom not what will happen if the angels get my sister or if I'll see Raffe again after he thinks I'm dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take the time to respond thoughtfully.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.